Common "toning" myths
When it comes to shedding unwanted body fat all exercise is not created equal. While all exercise is certainly beneficial at improving overall health, certain types of exercises have the edge on fat burning.
It's important to note that a comprehensive, long term approach to fitness, and nutrition is by far the best way to achieve your goals. However, you can make progress in a short amount of time. Here are some myths to avoid when trying to get maximal return on minimal time invested.
1. Doing cardiovascular, "cardio" exercise is the only way to burn fat and get toned. This method has been the "go to" method for many years but science has shown that it is not the most effective way. First, "cardio" is not an exercise, it's an energy system. People typically use the word "cardio" to mean aerobic exercise and aerobic exercise, while beneficial, should not be your go to exercise for fat reduction. It's not the best use of your time and what's worse is that your body quickly adapts to it and it can be muscle waiting which is the opposite of what you want to do.
2. Weight training makes you bulky. This couldn't be farthest from the truth and it is a very common myth amongst the female population. The truth is that weight training will change your body by adding muscle. First, additional muscle burns calories and two, muscle is more dense and takes up less space than body fat. So, with more muscle you are working on becoming leaner and will have a sleeker appearance.
3. You should target specific areas of fat on your body that you want to lose. Spot reduction is not possible. Instead of focusing on one area, focus on increasing your resting metabolic rate. This will increase your calorie expenditure overall. If you gain ten pounds of fat you can't control where on your body it goes, the same goes for fat loss. You can't control where it leaves your body.
- Class Schedule
- Specialty Programs Better Body Bootcamp LIFT at LVG Personal Training FIT KIDS BOOTCAMP
- Promos Friends with Benefits Loyalty Program
- Events Tim's 5th Annual Turkey Trot
- Trainers Tim Hlivia Denise Cunningham Jenn Lombardo Erin Tanner Stacey Unvarsky Jessica Youngblood
- Instructors Tim Hlivia Denise Cunningham Danny DePhillips Danielle Yearing Gliniecki Maria Rallo-Godfrey Jenn Lombardo Scott Majikes Kim Williams McDonnell Jessica Marks Sands Paul Shiber Adriana Serpico Sipple Erin Tanner Wendy Tedesco Stacey Unvarsky Jessica Youngblood